In today’s digital age, businesses of all sizes are expected to have a strong online presence in order to succeed. Google’s “Foundations of Digital Marketing and E-commerce” course on Coursera is a valuable resource for individuals and organizations looking to improve their digital marketing skills. However, the second week of the course can be particularly challenging for those new to the subject. In this article, we will provide solutions and insights to help you navigate and successfully complete week 2 of Google’s “Foundations of Digital Marketing and E-commerce” course. From understanding the fundamentals of digital marketing to developing a strong online presence, we will help you overcome the hurdles of week 2 and set you on the path to success.
Test your knowledge: How organizations benefit from digital marketing and e-commerce
Beyond an online presence, how can a company stand out from its competitors and reach potential customers?
- With a larger focus on driving sales
- With e-commerce
- With a larger staffing department
- With digital marketing
Fill in the blank: A successful digital marketing effort guides all of a company’s customer _____?
Successful digital marketing allows companies to think strategically about how to reach customers at what points in the purchasing process.
- Before, during, and after a purchase
- During and after a purchase
- Before and during a purchase
- Before and after a purchase
When beginning a digital marketing effort, what does a company need to research in order to set meaningful goals and measure success?
- Top social media platforms
- Popular news sites
- Target audience
- Video advertisements
Which of the following examples are outcomes of a well-planned digital marketing strategy? Select three.
- Employee retention
Test your knowledge: The marketing (and sales) funnel
Fill in the blank: The path a customer takes from learning about a product to getting their questions answered to making a purchase, is _____.
- the customer pain point
- the retailer’s revenue map
- the touchpoint
- the customer journey
What is a customer journey map?
- A specific problem customers and potential customers want to solve.
- A marketing effort that encourages potential customers to make purchases.
- A visualization of the touchpoints a typical customer encounters along their purchase journey.
- A record of each customer who abandoned their cart to shop at another brand.
Fill in the blank: A _____ is a visual representation of the process through which people go from first learning about a brand to becoming loyal customers.
- customer map
- purchase journey
- marketing funnel
Why is a marketing funnel wide at the top and narrow toward the bottom?
- Because most customers are familiar with a company’s brand, but only a handful of customers are actually knowledgeable about the products once they reach the bottom.
- Because all customers intend to continue to be loyal and committed to a specific brand at the top of the funnel, but only a few actually convert to become repeat customers by the time they reach the bottom.
- Because customers have a lot of pain points that need to be resolved at the beginning of the funnel, but only some problems remain once they reach the bottom of the funnel.
- Because a lot of potential customers will enter the top of the funnel, but only some of them will reach the bottom to become loyal customers.
What are the stages of a marketing funnel? Select four.
Test your knowledge: The marketing funnel
What is the awareness stage of the marketing funnel?
- When potential customers start exploring your business and finding out what makes you different from the competition
- When potential customers become leads
- When potential customers use the rewards program your company has to offer them
- When potential customers encounter your brand for the first time
What is the first step in making sure that your brand reaches the right audience?
- Forming promotional partnerships with other brands
- Getting a potential customer to remember your company
- Optimizing website content around specific keywords
- Conducting research
Which is an awareness tactic that businesses can use to reach customers?
- Read online reviews and actively browse websites
- Create ads for websites, social media, email, or video platforms
- Offer free trials, promotions, or trial memberships
- Follow customer purchasing patterns
What is the goal of the consideration stage of the marketing funnel?
- To grow sales by creating brand awareness and customer loyalty
- To diversify your brand’s social media presence in order to reach potential customers
- To increase the chances that a potential customer will make a purchase
- To improve awareness of a brand and its products or services
Which is a consideration tactic aimed to educate potential customers about a company’s offerings?
- Form promotional partnerships with other brands or influencers
- Improve potential customer rankings in search engine results
- Pay to place digital ads in higher traffic sites
- Offer engaging, useful content like blog posts, newsletters, or webinars
Imagine that a business builds a strong top-of-funnel marketing strategy. They take advantage of multiple channels and create a consistent experience across all of them. What outcomes will this strategy boost? Select two.
- Customer engagement
- Marketing success
- Customer referrals
Test your knowledge: Drive sales and build brand loyalty
What is the goal of the conversion stage?
- To improve the quality and value of the product
- To balance customer acquisition with retention
- To turn potential customers into buyers
- To nurture relationships with customers on an ongoing basis
What tactics should a company use to set themselves apart at the conversion stage? Select all that apply.
- Ensure a smooth checkout process
- Send follow-up emails
- Offer a clear returns policy
- Provide accurate product descriptions
How can a company build customer loyalty? Select all that apply.
- Offer a rewards program
- Market product-focused ads
- Provide a great experience during and after a purchase
- Use social media engagement to nurture relationships
What information should a digital marketer track in order to measure conversion? Select all that apply.
- Number of abandoned carts
- Average order size
- Cost per conversion
- Average order size
Why should a company measure loyalty? Select all that apply.
- It reveals where they can manage customer relationships more effectively.
- It shows how many customers will make repeat purchases.
- It allows them to save money.
- It helps them to assess and refine strategies to keep customers.
Weekly Challenge 2
How does digital marketing help companies stand out from the competition?
- It identifies new vendors before, during, and after a purchase.
- It reaches potential customers before, during, and after a purchase.
- It emails former employees before, during, and after a purchase.
- It increases stakeholder engagement before, during, and after a purchase.
How can a digital marketing strategy build customer trust and loyalty in a brand?
- It offers customers free promotions and membership trials after each purchase
- It uses social media outlets to market discounts before customers make a purchase
- It provides value through digital channels before, during, and after a purchase
- It asks customers to complete surveys during their shopping experience
Consider the following scenario:
A customer makes an online purchase. First, they discover the product. Then, they find answers to their questions, decide to make the purchase, and recommend the product to others.
What is the path called that the customer takes from finding the product to recommending it?
- The company pain points
- The awareness tactic
- The customer journey
- The strategic marketing plan
What tool helps digital marketers better understand how customers find a company and learn about a company?
- A business goal map
- A guide to average customer spending habits
- A customer journey map
- A record of customer internet searches
What is a visual representation of the process through which people go from first learning about a brand to becoming loyal customers?
- A customer journey funnel
- A marketing funnel
- A customer experience funnel
- A loyalty funnel
Fill in the blank: The top of the funnel is the _____ stage, which is when a potential customer encounters a brand for the first time.
Which two stages are at the top of the marketing funnel? Select all that apply.
- Brand loyalty
- Customer engagement
- Customer conversion
Why do marketers track impressions, reach, and frequency at the top of the marketing funnel?
- It lowers the cost of a campaign.
- It determines a company’s overall success.
- It shows them how effective their ads are.
- It speeds up the customer journey.
Which of these are conversion tactics? Select all that apply.
- Product-focused ads
- A clear returns policy
- A smooth checkout process
- Rewards programs
- Follow-up emails
Why is it important to measure both the number of conversions in the marketing funnel, and metrics such as the time to conversion and average number of touchpoints to conversion?
- Because it provides valuable insights into how customers interact with a brand
- Because it raises customer awareness and attracts new customers
- Because this measurement reveals the level of engagement customers have with a company’s rewards program
- Because this metric allows companies to boost sales and save money