In today’s digital age, businesses of all sizes are expected to have a strong online presence in order to succeed. Google’s “Foundations of Digital Marketing and E-commerce” course on Coursera is a valuable resource for individuals and organizations looking to improve their digital marketing skills. However, the first week of the course can be particularly challenging for those new to the subject. In this article, we will provide solutions and insights to help you navigate and successfully complete week 1 of Google’s “Foundations of Digital Marketing and E-commerce” course. From understanding the fundamentals of digital marketing to developing a strong online presence, we will help you overcome the hurdles of week 1 and set you on the path to success.
Test your knowledge: Careers in digital marketing and e-commerce
Fill in the blank: By the end of this program, learners will have _____ that can help them demonstrate their experience to potential employers.
- templates of work products
- concrete examples of work
- ideas for new projects
- paid offers for jobs
How can someone in this program put what they have learned into action?
- By leaving comments on digital marketers’ social media pages
- By scoping a marketing budget
- By building a personal brand
- By choosing a bid strategy
Fill in the blank: Some marketing roles are _____ positions, meaning a marketer works for a single company to market and sell their products.
What are the benefits of an in-house marketing role? Select all that apply.
- Gain deep knowledge and expertise in a specific industry.
- Get a clear path to promotion.
- Develop broad and flexible expertise.
- Receive a structured schedule.
What are the benefits of an agency role? Select all that apply.
- Get to know certain skill sets very well.
- Collaborate on a variety of initiatives in multiple industries.
- Work longer hours.
- Receive unexpected requests.
Weekly Challenge 1
Most e-commerce purchases fall into one of four categories. What are these categories?
- Digital products, services, software, and online games
- Digital products, services, software, and discounts
- Physical products, digital products, banking, and software
- Physical products, digital products, services, and software
A business owner wants to find new consumers for their clothing store. They plan to use social media to turn them into customers. What is this practice known as?
- Face-to-face marketing
- Online sales
- Digital marketing
There are several advantages to digital marketing. For example, it enables customers to act as soon as they experience an ad.
What does this advantage enable brands to do?
- Spend more
- Build relationships with customers
- Get faster results
- Reach fewer people
Which one of the following describes marketing roles?
- A digital marketing coordinator and e-commerce analyst often share similar skills.
- Specializing in a marketing field that aligns with your strengths is not recommended.
- Marketing coordinators’ tasks at a company are often disconnected and unrelated.
- You are typically responsible for a wider range of marketing tasks in a large business than a small business.
Digital marketers and e-commerce analysts are often curious. What does curiosity enable them to do?
- Seek out answers about people—what they want, how they think, and what motivates them to take action.
- Use analytical thinking to collect and organize information to spot patterns and solve problems.
- Communicate insights effectively to an audience.
- Highlight unique qualities and get customers’ attention in creative ways.
Fill in the blank: A(n) _____ contains your samples of past work and demonstrates relevant work experience.
Why would someone choose an agency role instead of an in-house role?
- To work on different projects across multiple industries
- To work with one company and its products
- To work with one industry only
- To work in a predictable environment
Fill in the blank: _____ role is when you partner with companies to fill their digital marketing and advertising needs.
- An in-house
- An internship
- An agency
- A full-time employment
There are a variety of roles and responsibilities in digital marketing. Which of the following are typical entry-level roles? Select all that apply.
- Digital marketing coordinator
- Email marketing specialist
- Account manager
- Marketing associate
Which of the following are typically job responsibilities for a digital marketing coordinator? Select all that apply.
- Draft social media copy and obtain approvals
- Approve and disburse funds for marketing activities
- Analyze data from marketing campaigns
- Follow SEO best practices